Help Save MA Youth from Conversion Therapy

Man holding a sign that reads "Self-Hatred Is Not Therapy"The Conversion Therapy Ban Bill (H.1190), also known as An Act relative to abusive practices to change sexual orientation and gender identity in minors, would prohibit licensed mental health professionals from trying to change the sexual orientation or gender identity of a minor. This bill is necessary to ensure that state-licensed mental health practitioners abide by professional standards and don't engage in damaging practices that have no scientific basis. It does not impact religious or faith-based counselors, nor does it violate anyone's First Amendment rights. For more information about this bill, download our Fact Sheet (PDF).

Status of the Conversion Therapy Ban Bill
The bill is making its way through the state legislature, and the House version is currently before the House Ways and Means Committee. Massachusetts youth can't wait much longer to be free from the threat of this dangerous and discredited practice—we need the bill to move out of committee and have Speaker DeLeo schedule a vote on this bill soon!

How you can help ban conversion therapy in Massachusetts
You can help us move the Conversion Therapy Ban Bill to a vote by calling or emailing your state Representative and asking them to do two things:

  • Contact the Chair of the House Ways and Means Committee, Rep. Jeffrey Sánchez, and urge him to report favorably on the Conversion Therapy Ban Bill (H.1190) as soon as possible.

  • Urge Speaker DeLeo to make the Conversion Therapy Ban Bill (H.1190) a priority and bring it to a vote during the current legislative session.

We also want your Representative to support this bill when it does come up for a vote on the House floor.

If Rep. Sánchez is your state Representative, it's even more important for him to hear from you! Please contact him now and ask him to please give this bill a favorable report, and urge him to talk to Speaker of the House Robert DeLeo to ensure that the bill makes it to a vote this session.

Don't know who your state Representative is? Visit and enter your street address in the form, then click the Show my results button. Scroll down the Results page to find your Representative's name in the District Representatives section of the page. Click on their name to view their contact information.

If you know your state Representative's name, you can look up their contact information in this directory.

Information and Resources
Download our Fact Sheet on the Conversion Therapy Ban Bill (PDF) to help you plan your email or call.

Use this call script (Word file) to guide you in making your call.

Download our sample email (Word file) to use as a guide when writing your state Representative. We encourage you to personalize this letter before sending it to your Representative.

Please contact your state Rep. today! Thank you for doing your part to keep Massachusetts youth safe from conversion therapy.

[Photo Credit: Daniel Tobias, cc-by-2.0]