The communications department is responsible for messages going to and from MEQ to a variety of audiences, both internal and external. Areas of focus for the communications department include, but are not limited to, marketing, public relations, media relations, member relations, social media, cyber relations, and internal communications. The communciations intern will play a vital role in helping MassEquality fulfill its mission. This will be a fun, informative, and engaging opportunity for an up-and-coming communications professional to learn the fundamentals of building and maintaining a strong communications program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with MEQ advocacy and public education efforts related, but not limited to: bullying, aging and elder care, homeless youth, public accommodations, domestic violence, etc.
- Track media coverage by using electronic alert systems and Internet searches
- Develop and maintain the MEQ Clip Book
- Assist with MEQ social media campaigns on Facebook and Twitter
- Assist with communications and marketing aspects of special events
- Assist with cultivating beneficial communications relationships, including research and outreach
- Assist with the development and delivery of digital communications such as emails, newsletters and website updates
- Attend team meetings as appropriate
- Assist with updating and maintaining our NGP database
- Write Letters to the Editor (LTEs), Op-eds, blog entries and other media pieces for public consumption
- Regularly read about MEQ’s key issues and stay up to date on related current events
- Perform administrative tasks as assigned
- Interest in, or willingness to learn about, LGBTQ issues, advocacy, politics and the legislative process
- Comfort with social media tools (Facebook and Twitter at a minimum)
- Experience with composing compelling written pieces
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good sense of humor, creativity, and a willingness to show initiative
- Knowledge of HTML, Drupal, or basic graphic design skills is helpful, but not required
Applications and Time Commitment
Applications for the Summer 2014 internship are due by Monday, May 16. Applications for the Fall 2014 internship are due by Friday, August 15. Applications for year-long interns are accepted on a rolling basis. Internships are available on a full-time or part-time basis, with a minimum commitment of 15 hours per week. Send your resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to email@example.com. All internships are unpaid.
MassEquality is an equal opportunity employer. All people who meet the minimum qualifications listed above are encouraged to apply regardless of race, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, age and/or religion.